How to Transfer a Domain from GoDaddy to Wix
Author: Howard Steele
Updated March 3, 2021
Are you right to change your domain name from GoDaddy to Wix? The reasons for this can be many. You may be the owner of GoDaddy’s domain name and want to switch to Wix, for example, or you may simply be unhappy with the terms or prices offered by the system. Whatever your intentions and goals, you will find a certain algorithm of actions to complete the task.
There are several steps you will need to follow to make the whole process a success. However, what you need to know is that Wix lets you choose the most favorable option that suits your needs.
You can decide to transfer your domain name from GoDaddy to Wix or connect it to your new Wix premium account. The difference between the options is crucial.
Domain transfer means you will be moving it completely from one platform to another. However, when you decide to connect the domain name to Wix, that means it will remain hosted with GoDaddy, but will still point to your new Wix website.
Whichever option you ultimately choose, you should realize that domain name transfer is the most responsible and probably the most difficult step to face and complete. Let’s see what you can do with each of these situations to handle them in the best possible way.
Hire a PRO
to move your website!
Guidelines for Transferring Domains from GoDaddy to Wix
Once you decide to transfer your domain name from GoDaddy to Wix, you can do it yourself or hire a team of web developers to do it for you. The latter option is preferable, especially if you have no web design experience. SiteBuilders.pro will enthusiastically assist you in your domain name migration process.
The service stands out from the crowd with its professionalism, reputation and attention to detail in every project. By reviewing your website specifications and individual requirements, SiteBuilders.pro will complete the porting process on your own to ensure that all entities in your project are moved correctly to look and function properly on all devices . This is what makes cooperation with the service the easiest solution. Just entrust the task to professionals and do not worry about the result.
When you decide to completely transfer your website from GoDaddy to the Wix Premium Account, you should realize that you will now become your sole domain name registrar. In other words, all of your domain contacts, DNS settings, and registration payments will be processed exclusively in your Wix account.
However, please note that domain transfer only applies to sites registered in certain areas. The main types of domain names you can transfer to Wix include .com, .org, .net, .biz, .info, .co, .tv, .guru, .email, .expert, .photography, .pictures, .space , .rocks .tokyo, .xyz., .company, .club, .solutions, .today, .technology, .tips, .center, .directory, .ninja, .photos, .land, .agency, .gift , . holidays, .Christmas, .shop and .mx.
To start the domain transfer process, you must first obtain the authorization code ( EPP ) from your GoDaddy registrar. To do this, follow these steps:
- Log in to your GoDaddy account;
- Click on the username in the upper corner of the page;
- Choose the “My Products” section, then check the “Manage” tab next to the domain you are transferring;
- Look for the “Additional Settings” section;
- Check the “Get Authorization Code” tab. If you have more than 6 domain names in the same account at the same time, click on the “Email my code” tab.
After completing these steps, the authorization code will be sent to the email address registered for your domain name. Please note that if you recently registered the domain name or changed your information, it will not be available for transfer for 60 days. In this case, you will still be able to connect it to your Wix account. This option will be discussed later.
See also: How to get a free domain name.
How to Transfer a Domain from GoDaddy to Wix
In order to transfer the domain name from GoDaddy to Wix after acquiring the authorization code, you will need to follow the instructions below:
- Upgrade to the Wix Premium account and click the “Continue” button, after learning the instructions;
- Proporcione el nombre de dominio que desea transferir y luego haga clic en el botón “Enviar”;
- Explore el menú desplegable para encontrar el servicio al que pertenece el dominio ( en nuestro caso, este es GoDaddy ) y luego active la pestaña “Continuar”;
- Complete las pautas que genera el sistema y marque las casillas requeridas;
- Elija el plazo de extensión del dominio ( no menos de un año );
- Edite sus contactos, si es necesario, o déjelos sin cambios;
- Elija la opción de privacidad para que la información de su nombre de dominio sea privada o pública;
- Choose the preferred payment option and complete the purchase.
If you’ve done everything correctly, you’ll receive the email from [email protected] to the mailbox connected to your domain. Activate the confirmation link to finalize the transfer.
There is one crucial issue you should also be informed about: the entire process of domain name transfer may take up to 7 days to be fully completed.
We recommend, however, not to transfer your GoDaddy domain name to Wix right from the start, but to connect it to the new account first. This will be much quicker (around 48 hours) and will show you the advantages of running a Wix-based website.
See also: Wix review.
What you should know prior to starting the domain name connection process is that Wix allows doing that in one of two ways. The first one implies the connection of the domain directly to Wix name servers, while the second one lets you connect the domain name via pointing method. What’s the difference and which option is more preferable? Read on to find that out right away.
Connecting Your GoDaddy Domain Name to Wix Name Servers
Prior to connecting your GoDaddy domain to Wix, do not forget to upgrade to one of the Premium plans the system offers. Then add your domain to Wix account in the following way:
- Access the “My Domains” section in your registered Wix account;
- Add the Domain by choosing the “Connect a domain your already own” tab;
- Update the DNS (domain name server) settings in your domain host account;
- Check the domain login information.
Once done, go to your GoDaddy account and click on the user profile button in the upper right corner of the screen. Choose the “My products” section and click on the DNS tab to the right of the desired domain name. Then make the domain change in the Name Servers section, choosing the required Custom tab from the drop-down menu. To complete the process, provide the Wix nameservers you have already configured and click the “Save” button.
Connecting your GoDaddy domain name by pointing
Connecting your GoDaddy domain name by pointing is the next option you can try. As in the previous point, you will need to upgrade to one of Wix’s Premium Plans and add the domain to your Wix account by following the steps above. Are you done with this? Then continue with the following instructions:
- Log in to your GoDaddy account and click on your user profile in the upper right corner to choose the “My Products” section;
- Go to DNS settings in the right corner of your domain;
- Find, then add or edit the A record, which contains the @ sign in the corresponding name column, specifying the required GoDaddy points;
- Save the information;
- Add/modify the CNAME information with the “www” sign in the corresponding hostname column, then add the “Points to” address of your CNAME record in the corresponding field;
- Record the information provided again.
This domain login method is more complicated and less secure than the one mentioned above. Wix does not recommend this to its users as the system may not be able to help them with DNS-related issues if needed later.
Connecting GoDaddy Email to Wix
If you purchased your email from GoDaddy and want to connect it directly to Wix without changing the address, you should first check if you have already connected your domain name to Wix’s name servers. If you connected the domain name through the reporting method, you will need to contact GoDaddy Support for assistance. If you originally used the first option, follow the steps below to connect your existing GoDaddy email to Wix:
- Log in to your GoDaddy account, click on the user profile icon in the upper right corner of the screen and choose the “My Products” section;
- Check if your domain is under Office 365 version; you can do this in the Email and Office section. Otherwise, go to the “My domains” page, choose the desired domain and click on the “Mailboxes” tab;
- Activate the “Configure your MX records” or “Edit settings” tab;
- Click the “Your email provider” drop-down menu and choose GoDaddy from the list provided;
- Save your settings and complete the email setup process on your GoDaddy account.
What if your domain is included in the version of Office 365? Then, the following steps will be essential:
- Verify that you already own the domain. To do this, grab the TXT record for your Office 365 account and then add it to your domain’s DNS settings available in the Wix account.
- Configure MX, CNAME, TXT, and SRV records in the Mailboxes tab of your account, then add them to your domain name’s DNS settings. Save the result.
Please note that DNS changes usually take around 15 minutes to activate. |In some cases, however, you may have to wait a little longer.
Hire a PRO
to move your website!
Frequently Asked Questions
Question: How much does it cost to transfer a domain from GoDaddy?
Answer: Generally, the process of transferring a domain from GoDaddy is free, but you may need to pay a registration fee, which depends on the new registrar’s pricing policy.
Question: When can I transfer a domain name from GoDaddy to Wix?
Answer: You can transfer a domain name from GoGaddy to Wix at any time, unless you recently registered it or changed previously submitted information about it. In this case, the domain name will not be available for transfer for 60 days.
Question: How long does it take to transfer a domain from GoDaddy?
Answer: It takes 5-7 days to transfer a domain name from GoDaddy.
At the end of the line
The domain name transfer process is time consuming and quite difficult, especially when it comes to beginners. However, if you manage to consider all the procedural steps listed in the article, you can avoid many problems and errors in the long run. Not to mention the time and effort you will put into the domain transfer process.
Please take the time to explore the details, recommendations and guidelines provided in the HR publication to make it a success!
Also read: How to transfer a WordPress domain to Wix.